Unified Communications Is Reshaping the New Workforce
With unified communications as a service (UCaaS), remote teams can stay connected from wherever. UCaaS technology puts all business communication tools in one place, streamlining work communication and collaboration. In 2020, organizations turned to technology to help them function while employees worked from home in larger numbers than ever. One of the most widely adopted business services has been cloud communications, and more specifically, UCaaS.
UCaaS During COVID-19
During the COVID-19 pandemic, UCaaS usage skyrocketed. According to the 2020 State of Disruption Report, customer interest in UCaaS went up by 86 percent during the pandemic.
The report revealed that many companies were considering investing in the technology even before the coronavirus crisis hit. The disruption simply pushed business leaders to make the shift. By adopting cloud-based tools, they were able to empower their teams with the right technology, many of which are working from home for the first time.
Another report – Applications, Sector (SMB, Enterprise, Government) and Industry Verticals 2020-2025 – looked at the growth of the unified communications market as a response to 2020 and its challenges. It projects that the unified communications and collaboration market will reach $70.2 billion by 2025, with video-based platforms growing at the highest rate. The publisher of the report believes the forced shift to remote work will impact work-from-home policies in the long term, and that business strategy will shift to incorporate “remote employee productivity as a core human capital management requirement.”
Why Unified Communications Is a Perfect Fit for the New Business Normal
UCaaS solutions offer key features that make remote work possible.
- Video conferencing for one-on-one and large group meetings
- File sharing with cloud availability
- Live chat so employees can communicate quickly with each other or with customers
- Integrated email communications
- Remote access to business applications employees need to stay productive
Now that more organizations are adopting UCaaS solutions, they have the tools to cultivate a more flexible and resilient work culture. UCaaS can play a central role in this reshaping of the new workforce. It offers major benefits to small to medium-sized businesses that don’t have the in-house IT resources to handle sophisticated on-premise technology, nor the budget. With UCaaS, SMBs gain the following benefits:
- Unburdened IT staff. Using a cloud-based, integrated UCaaS platform means less of a burden for IT staff as the technology provider handles installation, configuration, and upgrades.
- Easy scaling. You can pay for what you need and expand as your business grows.
- Advanced security. When you partner with a trusted UCaaS provider, you can count on high-level security and continuous updates. It’s also wise to choose a provider that’s compliant with the regulations that effect your industry.
- Ease of use. Your teams can access your UCaaS solution right away, and there’s no lengthy implementation process. Your provider covers installation and support, so you don’t have to worry about deployment.
Get Your Workforce Ready for the Future with Unified Communications
In the new normal, businesses will prioritize flexibility and adaptability. Being ready for everything will be built into business strategy. A core part of making this happen will be a renewed focus on communications technology.
Employees need to be able to work from wherever and collaborate, just like they were in the office. Video conferencing software and seamless connections between your business phone system and employees’ mobile device makes this possible.
To ensure business continuity, files need to be backed up in the cloud and staff need to be able to communicate with customers, no matter where they are or what kind of disruption is happening. Chat, cloud-based email, and automatic call re-routing are key here. These functions ensure your customers can reach you and business doesn’t have to stop for anything.
In a unified communications platform, all of these tools are accessible from one dashboard. They’re also integrated, enabling easy, reliable communication. Before the increased adoption of UCaaS, and other tools that have turned out to be game changers during the pandemic, remote work was an exception, not the rule.
Unified communications have demonstrated the power of communications technology today, and the possibilities for a new workforce with a work from wherever mindset. Moving ahead, forward-thinking organizations can shift business strategy to allow for more worker flexibility, reduced technology and travel costs, and less business risk. Learn about how you can take your business to the next level with Intermedia Unite, a fully integrated UCaaS solution.